2. Importance of Flexibility
Flexibility in the workplace means being able to change to succeed. Flexibility is a soft skill that employers look for when hiring candidates.
The dynamics within companies are becoming more flexible, virtual work is becoming more popular, companies are looking for talent beyond their borders, the organisational structure is less rigid, there is more interest in the well-being of the individual worker and new forms of compensation are emerging.
As an employer it is important to offer flexible work programmes, as they bring numerous benefits, including attracting the best talent, increased productivity, reduced staff turnover and absenteeism, which represents significant savings to your company.
Flexible working also boosts motivation and helps create a more favourable working environment. It also generates greater loyalty to the company and better performance, as employees are often grateful to managers who allow them to balance their lives.
Now, owners or managers of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), who might think that they will not get the best talent when competing against larger companies with more resources and budget, could make their companies an attractive place to work through a talent attraction strategy based on flexible working instead of traditional working hours.
- Flexible working hours. The idea is to allow employees to work different hours (according to their needs), which typically includes coming to the office earlier or later than usual.
- Mixed plan. Thanks to technology, it is possible to implement other flexible working ideas. With smartphones, laptops and cloud computing, employees do not need to be in an office to achieve objectives. They can work from home or any other space besides the office.
- Professional development programmes. When an employee sees their professional growth, it reaffirms their commitment to the company. Offering them a programme of constant updating and training is a great option.
- Growth opportunities. You can give your team the opportunity to do new activities, different projects, research or get involved in other areas of the company.