1. Importance of Verbal Communication
Whether it’s about conference meetings, making phone calls, personal discussions, making phone calls, good verbal communication is essential in any aspect of life and work. From the tone of your voice to adapting messages to your audience, verbal communication skills are one of the most influential components in achieving success. As well, it’s good to keep in mind that written communication falls in this category as it includes the use of words and language.
Verbal vs. Non-Verbal Communication
In verbal communication, the speaker uses words for pass on a message to the receiver. In this type of communication, messages are obtained with better transparency. While on the other hand, nonverbal communication happens between a sender and receiver by using body language, signs, or facial expressions.
In verbal communication, face-to-face interaction is not necessary, but in non-verbal communication, the face-to-face presence of all the entailed parties is crucial.
Types of Verbal Communications
- Formal – It is recognized as official communication, where the sender follows a predefined channel for transmitting the information.
- Informal – Also known as grapevine, in this, the senders don’t follow any predefined channels for sharing the information.
Importance of Verbal Communication
- Verbal communication helps you define reality – Verbal communication is used to define everything from emotions, experiences, objects, ideas, and thoughts. Think about how you define yourself. You might define yourself as an employee, advocate, night-owl, parent, procrastinator, etc. Verbal communication is how we define and classify what we go through in our lives. For instance, you are at the beach with your friends and it’s beautiful and sunny day, but out of nowhere, it starts pouring rain. Because of this, you define the day as awful or disappointing. But then your friend says, “Today is such a good day!” Instead of focusing on the weather, he most likely pointing out that he was having a good time by being with his mates on the beach, rain or shine. This example shows that our choice of words we use for verbal communication defines our realities.
- Facilitates the flow of thoughts and ideas – Having a transparent and coherent verbal communication with confidence during a team meeting or an offsite with the managing director or with your co-workers boosts the flow of thoughts and ideas. This being from the flow of new ideas, breakthrough views, and innovative ways of working; a lot is delved into by understanding the importance of verbal communication.
Source: https://cleverclipstudios.com/en-ch/blog/how-verbal-communication-has-changed/ (Photo by Natalie Ediger)
- Mark of Confidence – When a person is confident and clear with the way they talk to someone verbally, it demonstrates their mark of confidence. Succeeding this can help you take off on the journey of glory and success at each attempt of your personal and professional life.
- Establishes job satisfaction – Having clear communication in the standpoint of a relation between an employer and the employee, boosts the confidence and satisfaction of the employee. The employer must make sure, his employee recognizes his strengths and weaknesses at work so that he or she can elevate his game and workout his flaws or issues. This can also increase confidence generated by improving work efficiency.
- Helps you persuade – When you have strong verbal communication skills, you naturally gain the power to influence or persuade someone at your workplace or in your personal life. It is also seen as an amazing marketing tactic, making it a must have if you work on sales.
- Saves time – When a team member avoids giving a definitive answer or position and is not clear with his message while working on a project can result in wastage of time, energy, and efforts. Hence, each team member should make sure that their message is clear, authentic, and straightforward to make a win-win situation for everyone.
- Expands your horizons – When you the importance of verbal communication and apply its rules, you are not constricted to one job position/responsibility or a single industry sector. For instance, if you are capable to sell a real estate apartment in an efficient way, most likely, you can also sell luxury watches through your efficient verbal communication skills. Without exception, you should note that it is your interpersonal skills and dedication to excel what makes you go places and reach the peak of success and glory.