3. Networking tips
Make a habit out of networking to impact your personal and professional development, to create sustainable (=long-term) relationships, as well as maintain your abilities to communicate with people from different environments or cultures.
Here are some tips!
- You are who you choose to be, so pay attention to the way you present yourself.
- Be an active listener and pay attention to the message(s) of your audience.
- Adjust your language to the language of your audience.
- Be sincere and demonstrate a friendly approach to your listeners.
- Provide straightforward responses, using simple language so you are well understood.
- Be in the right places to benefit from the opportunities to meet new people and enrich your experience.
- Keep focus when interacting with people and prioritize your activities.
- Find possibilities to meet with people to build your network of contact.
- Appreciate and be empathetic, sharing thoughts and expressing your opinion.
- Demonstrate confidence but don’t be too pushy.
- Ask the right questions to receive good feedback.
- Pay attention to body language, which may speak more than words.
- Maintain eye contact (or not – depending on the culture of your audience).
- Stay in touch with your network of contacts.
- Remain positive and keep in mind that networking is a long-term investment.
- Think outside the box and be original, but adjust to the situation.
- Plan, practice and improve your networking strategy, for instance with your colleagues.